Can I make a 401(k) contribution from my savings account later in the year to catch up?

  1. No, contributions to a 401(k) must be deducted from your paycheck.
  2. PLANNING TIP: It might be possible to contribute 100% of your paycheck into the 401(k) late in the calendar year and use your savings to make up for the lost take-home pay. Ask your payroll department about the frequency with which you can change the amount coming out of your paycheck.